It’s pretty obvious that skiing is a good workout… but why exactly?
For some reason Time Magazine has put this little video together espousing the virtues of getting out on the slopes:
Why skiing is a ridiculously good workout. http://ti.me/2ncI86O
Posted by TIME on Friday, January 26, 2018
The video notes that:
- Skiing benefits depend on your skill level, how hard you push yourself, and the types of terrain you ski
- Alpine skiing has a combination of endurance and resistance training
- It offers positive effects on your heart and circulation, as well as the peripheral muscles like your legs
- Downhill skiing equates roughly to a rowing or cycling workout
- All types of skiing offer cardio-metabolic benefits including improved insulin resistance, body composition and a drop in blood pressure
- Skiing is also a form of interval training, which extends your life and improves your fitness level
- The highly coordinated movements of skiing set it apart from other fitness activities
- Knee and hip movements challenge a greater range of lower-body muscles than other excercises
- Research shows that activating and training the lower body can improve balance and stability
- And of course, spending time outdoors in nature is great for your mental and physical health
So what are you waiting for… go hit the slopes!